In its third year, Exhibits Fast Forward is a FREE Promotional Opportunity for SIGGRAPH 2015 Exhibitors: 40 seconds to promote your booth and entice attendees to visit. Participation is highly encouraged, but it is not mandatory
New this year: Purchase an Exhibitor Tech Talk and receive an additional 40 seconds for your Exhibits Fast Forward presentation.
View the SIGGRAPH 2013 Exhibits Fast Forward session for a taste of previous presentations.
To submit your presentation, go to the online submission system and select “Begin a New Submission”, then "Exhibits Fast Forward".
Please thoroughly review the information below to prepare for the Exhibits Fast Forward session.
- Please create an entry in SIS so way we know that you are interested in participating
- Fast Forward slides and videos are due on (final uploads) Friday, 12 June 2015, 22:00 UTC/GMT
- Windows-based PowerPoint 2013 presentations
- Video and audio welcome! (.mp3, .wma and .wmv, no QuickTime .mov)
- Automatic timings for every single slide, adding up to 40 seconds or less
- No need for a title or presenters slide
- There is no slide template.
- The aspect ratio must be 16:9.
- Make sure to have the rights to all materials presented (music, images, and supportive content)
- Informative, possibly humorous, always tasteful
You may submit any (reasonable) number of slides. Each must automatically advance to the next slide. Slides may contain embedded animations, audio, and video. However, avoid using too many animations or separate videos playing on the same slide (make sure to link and not embed videos). If possible, put everything into a single video that occupies the whole presentation.
Try to limit the total size of your materials (PowerPoint, audio, and video) to 40 MB or less. If you purchase an Exhibitor Tech Talk, you will have an additional 40 seconds and MB, so you will be allowed one upload with two separate presentations. (Each presentation is entitled to 40 MB). We will assemble all the presentations into one large presentation, which will be pre-recorded before the show. Please note that there will NOT be any last-minute changes. No exceptions.
General Presentation Guidelines
- We request that at least one presenter appear on stage. There is no limit on the number of presenters.
- After each presentation, its title will appear for five seconds. The title screen will be the cue to walk to the podium if you’re about to present or get off the stage if you have just finished presenting. The next presenter may start speaking or wait for the first slide to appear during/after two seconds of blank screen.
- You do NOT need to include a title slide as part of your 40 seconds.
- There will NOT be an option to go back to a previous slide or to make a slide last longer, since the entire session is pre-recorded.
- All slide materials must respect copyrights for all content: music, images, and video. We will NOT show copyrighted material without permission during Exhibits Fast Forward. Keep in mind that unauthorized material prevents us from further showcasing your presentations on our online outlets to expand your exposure.
- Presentations will run alphabetically by exhibitor name. To provide the best experience for attendees, keep your presentation informative and easy to understand. Appropriate humor is always a plus. We recommend that you rehearse your presentation to get familiar with the timing.
- Slides should be in Windows-based PowerPoint 2013 PPTX format, and aspect ratio should be standard 16:9.
- You may create your slides using PowerPoint 2013 in any operating system. However, save your slides in Windows PowerPoint 2013 format. We STRONGLY suggest that you create your presentation directly on PowerPoint 2013 and test your presentation on another computer running PowerPoint 2013 on Windows before you submit your files.
- We strongly suggest compiling or at least testing your presentation on a Windows 8 machine to avoid compatibility issues. Windows 8 will be used to compile the presentation.
- If you use audio in your slides, it must be in mp3 format.
- If you submit a video file, it should be in WMV format exclusively; please do NOT submit video in QuickTime (.mov) format. Unfortunately, QuickTime files will not play in some versions of PowerPoint and are prone to video codec conflicts. Other formats have caused crashes in the past.
- If you are submitting a file with audio and video, please submit an audio-only file to ensure your presentation still has sound (in case there is any corruption to the audio).
- When importing video, please make sure to select the option "Start Playing Automatically" when prompted.
- Do NOT embed video or audio files in the PowerPoint file. They should be linked and must reside in the same directory as the presentation (PPT) file, without an absolute path name. However, image files DO get embedded; you don’t have to put images in your ZIP file.
- All files (PPT, WMVs, and MP3s, if any) should be included in one ZIP file. This ZIP file should be uploaded to SIS. If you only have a PowerPoint file with no audio or video, you may upload that single file unzipped.
- Please use only the standard fonts that ship with Windows. If you wish to use other fonts, you should convert the text to an image and then embed the image in place of the text.
- Although you might be able to see your equations properly, they may not appear on another computer. It may prove useful to test your presentation on more than one machine.
- To submit your Exhibits Fast Forward presentation, go to the online submission system. Log in to your account > Begin a New Submission > select Exhibits Fast Forward. Complete the required form > click Next > upload your file labeled “Fast Forward”. If you have more than one file (movies, for example), make sure that PPT expects to find them in the same directory as the PPT file, and please create a ZIP file that includes all the files.
- Before SIGGRAPH 2015, you will receive an email detailing the check-in process for the Exhibits Fast Forward session. Please feel free to contact us with any questions.
Frequently Asked Questions
Is there a slide template for Exhibits Fast Forward?
There is no slide template. This is to emphasize that presenters have complete freedom in designing their slide formatting and animations, and in particular to make full use of the 16:9 space available. The title slides that we will insert between talks will help provide a common "look".
In PowerPoint 2013, it is possible to embed videos directly inside the main pptx file. Can I do this?
Please do not embed videos. Instead, insert these as separate, linked video files. (As you can imagine, concatenating 30-40 talks with embedded videos creates memory issues.) To insert a linked video in PowerPoint 2013, from the “Insert Video” dialog box, click the drop-down menu next to the “Insert” button and select “Link to File”.
May the video file contain surround sound or is it limited to stereo audio?
It’s safest to just use stereo.
My presentation includes only one video file. Can I submit it alone, or should I embed it in a PowerPoint presentation?
Please create a PowerPoint file pointing to the external video file and make sure that it runs from inside PowerPoint. This has helped reduce problems a few times in the past.