- Where can I find out if I need a visa to attend SIGGRAPH 2015?
- I need an invitation letter to apply for a visa. How can I request one?
- I have heard that you provide multilingual podcasts about the work shown in the Art Gallery and Emerging Technologies. Where can I download them?
- What kind of translation support can an international attendee or contributor receive at SIGGRAPH 2015?
- How can I find out if other people from my country or region are attending SIGGRAPH 2015?
- Is there an area in the International Center to hold interviews with the press, to give a presentation, or to have a meeting?
- I have a laptop with a wireless network card. Will I be able to connect myself to the internet at the Los Angeles Convention Center?
- I am flying internationally. How early should I leave for the Los Angeles airport when I depart?
- I am planning on arriving before the conference or staying on after the conference. What is there to do in Los Angeles?
- I have never been to Los Angeles before. Where can I find a map of the area?
- I have never been to the Los Angeles International Airport before. Where can I find information about the airport?
- How do I get from the airport to the convention center or downtown hotels?
- Where can I exchange currency?
- Where can I use credit cards or travelers checks in Los Angeles?
- What time zone is Los Angeles in?
- What is the climate in Los Angeles?
1. Where can I find out if I need a visa to attend SIGGRAPH 2015?
We provide basic visa information, but if you have specific questions that are not answered there, please see the US Department of State visa guidelines.
2. I need an invitation letter to apply for a visa. How can I request one?
You must register for SIGGRAPH 2015 before you can request or receive a letter of invitation. If you register by postal or courier service or fax, please request a letter of invitation directly from our conference registration team and provide your registration confirmation number.
If you register online, you can obtain an invitation letter through the Registration Resource Center (after registering).
Please contact the SIGGRAPH 2015 International Resources Co-Chairs if you have questions about the visa-invitation procedure.
3. I have heard that you provide multilingual podcasts about the work shown in the Art Gallery and Emerging Technologies. Where can I download them?
The podcasts will be available in seven languages (English, Spanish, French, Chinese, Japanese, Russian, Italian) on the SIGGRAPH 2015 podcast page.
4.What kind of translation support can an international attendee or contributor receive at SIGGRAPH 2015?
During the conference week, Student Volunteers and the SIGGRAPH 2015 International Resources Committee (who are fluent in many languages) are available to help with basic translation questions, along with answering questions and problems that may arise for attendees. However, thse individuals are not available to act as personal interpreters for any of the conference programs.
5. How can I find out if other people from my country or region are attending SIGGRAPH 2015?
Prior to the conference, your local ACM SIGGRAPH Chapter may be able to help you. See the Chapters Directory to find out if there is a chapter in your local area. During the conference, the International Center is a good meeting place, as it is specifically designed to provide a safe and comfortable area to network and meet other international attendees. The International Center holds cultural events throughout the week.
6. Is there an area in the International Center to give a presentation or to have a meeting?
Yes. To reserve the area for an interview, presentation, or meeting, please contact the SIGGRAPH 2015 International Resources Co-Chairs in advance.
7. I have a laptop with a wireless network card. Will I be able to connect to the internet at the Los Angeles Convention Centre?
Wireless service will be available throughout the Los Angeles Convention Center during SIGGRAPH 2015.
8. I am flying internationally. How early should I leave for the Los Angeles airport when I depart?
Most airlines now require that you check in around three hours in advance for international flights due to the increased security checks. You should contact your airline for more specific information.
9. I am planning on arriving before the conference or staying on after the conference. What is there to do in Los Angeles?
Here are just a few suggestions of things to do while you are in Los Angeles:
Visit Disneyland, Universal Studios or the Los Angeles' Zoo and Botanical Gardens. Go to Hollywood and find your favorite star on the Walk of Fame, maybe even catch a glimpse of a famous personality. Spend a day in Santa Monica, where you can enjoy the ocean views, browse shops, and watch street performers at the Third Street Promenade shopping district and Santa Monica Place shopping mall.
11. I have never been to the Los Angeles Airport before. Where can I find information about the airport?
Los Angeles International Airport (LAX) is the city's major airport. It is served by most major national and international airlines, so scheduling a flight to Los Angeles should not be a problem. The airport's web site provides details about the airport's layout, along with arrival and departure times of scheduled flights.
12. How do I get from the airport to the convention center or downtown hotels?
LAX is approximately 30 kilometers (20 miles) southwest of downtown LA. There are many transport options to and from the airport. For full directions, please see the airport's web site
13. Where can I exchange currency?
There are many currency exchange facilities in Los Angeles. Most banks exchange currency as do a number of travel centers in the city. Exchange services are more limited outside of Los Angeles, and it's best to carry US-currency travelers checks or small amounts of US cash.
14. Where can I use credit cards or travelers checks in Los Angeles?
Los Angeles businesses accept most credit cards and US-dollar travelers checks. Some restaurants accept cash only. Some businesses may require a photo identification card (passport or other identification) before cashing travelers checks. If you are purchasing items while at SIGGRAPH 2015 (registration passes, tickets, merchandise, etc.), please note that we do not accept bank ATM cards or foreign currency. SIGGRAPH 2015 accepts only US currency or a major credit card (Visa, MasterCard, American Express).
15. What time zone is Los Angeles in?
Los Angeles is in the Pacific Time Zone, which is eight hours behind Greenwich Mean Time (GMT). From the first Saturday in April until the last Saturday in October, Los Angeles observes Daylight Savings Time and turns all its clocks ahead one hour.
16. What is the climate in Los Angeles?
Los Angeles enjoys a Mediterranean climate and is protected from extremes of temperature and humidity by the mountain ranges to its north and east. August and September are the hottest months, January and February the coolest and wettest. Temperatures are higher in the city and cooler nearer the ocean. The average LA temperature is around 70 F (21 C), though smog-shrouded summer days can get well over 90 F (32 C). Winter temperatures around 55 F (12 C) are not uncommon.